The acquisition, however, was hardly a bolt out of the blue, according to Oppenheimer & Co. analyst Ittai Kidron.
"The deal doesn't surprise us considering Cisco's ongoing effort to build-out WLAN and Unified Access in longer term defense of its Ethernet switching business," he wrote. "As for Meraki, its appeal lies in its software controller which allows network operators to centrally manage and operate networks through the cloud. While valuation appears rich, Meraki could round out Cisco's WLAN (Wireless LAN) portfolio and longer term, potentially complement its SDN (Software-Defined Networking) and cloud strategy."
The Meraki acquisition is expected to close in Cisco's fiscal second quarter ending in January.Cisco shares, which have gained 0.94% this year, were up 1.45% to $18.25 in Monday's trading. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV