The Hershey Company (NYSE:HSY) was recognized as one of America’s most community-minded companies in The Civic 50 survey – the first comprehensive ranking of S&P 500 corporations that best use their time, talent, and resources to improve the quality of life in the communities where they do business. This award comes shortly after Hershey was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North American Index and moved up 172 spots in Newsweek’s Green Rankings.
The survey was conducted by the National Conference on Citizenship (NCoC) and Points of Light, experts on civic engagement, in partnership with Bloomberg LP. The full Civic 50 ranking is posted at www.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/civic_50_2012.html.
“We are very proud to be included in The Civic 50 and be recognized for our commitment to ‘doing well by doing good,’” said James George, Vice President, Corporate Social Responsibility, The Hershey Company. “Hershey’s long history of philanthropy began with our founder Milton Hershey, who preferred to take a hands-on approach to solving community challenges, and we will continue to do the same as we expand our work in the cocoa communities of West Africa and the communities where our employees call home.”
At the heart of Hershey’s community efforts is the well-being of children, especially those at risk. Hershey has a number of programs and partnerships enabling the company to have a positive impact on society and local communities around the world:
- Cocoa community support: In 2012, Hershey announced a $10 million commitment in West Africa over the next five years to accelerate community programs and in October, Hershey announced that it will source 100% certified cocoa for its global chocolate portfolio by 2020.
- United Way giving: Hershey’s annual United Way Campaign raised a record-breaking $2 million in 2011 thanks to generous employee donations and Hershey’s corporate match. The United Way Campaign contributed to the $9 million of monetary and product donations Hershey made in 2011. Hershey also works directly with United Way Worldwide on a number of grants for community initiatives such as an after-school program for children of migrant workers in Shanghai.
- Employee volunteerism: In 2011, Hershey employees donated 10,000 volunteer hours, many through Hershey’s “Dollars for Doers” program, which supports dedicated employee volunteers with a donation to their charity of choice.
- Youth activity: In 2012, Hershey’s Track & Field Games (HT&FG) celebrated 35 years of encouraging kids ages 9-14 to be active through running, jumping and throwing events at over 1,000 free local, state and provincial track meets. HT&FG is the longest-running youth activity program of its kind in North America with more than 10 million youth participating since its inception.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV