Monday's data provided some of the impetus for the rally. The National Association of Realtors reported sales of existing homes increased in October, even with some regional impact from Hurricane Sandy, by 2.1% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 4.79 million from a downwardly revised 4.69 million in September.
Sales were 10.9% above the 4.32 million-unit level in October 2011.
Economists, on average, expected an annual rate of 4.75 million for existing home sales in October.
The National Association of Home Builders' housing market index rose to a level of 46, which was better than the unchanged level of 41 predicted by economists."Overall, a strong reading on the housing market," said Ian Lyngen, a senior rates strategist at CRT. The FTSE 100 in London closed up by 2.36%, while the DAX in Germany finished higher by 2.49%. Eurozone finance ministers are scheduled to hold a meeting in Brussels on Tuesday about extending more financial aid to Greece. Japan's Nikkei average finished higher by 1.43% Monday amid rising anticipation of an opposition party victory in December, which is expected to result in the push for monetary easing. Hong Kong's Hang Seng index settled up 0.49%. Gold for December delivery rose $19.70 to settle at $1,734.40 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while January crude oil contracts finished up $2.36 at $89.28. The benchmark 10-year Treasury fell 11/32, boosting the yield to 1.615%. The dollar was down 0.43%, according to the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV