Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced its 10G wire-speed encryption solution is now Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 Level 2 compliant, and validated by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSE). With FIPS approval, Ciena’s integrated transport offering with 10G encryption can be deployed by U.S. and Canadian government agencies, as well as enterprises globally, for fully encrypted 10G data service delivery at wire-speed rates. Part of Ciena’s growing suite of solutions that allow our customers to build Assured Networks that are trusted, reliable and secure, this is the first commercially available integrated transport encryption platform to achieve FIPS 140-2 Level 2 certification.
- FIPS 140-2 is an officially recognized North American standard that validates proper use of standard, peer-reviewed methods of encryption. All government agencies and departments in the U.S. and Canada that use commercial grade encryption are required to use FIPS-certified solutions in their networks. Additionally, enterprise organizations in healthcare, financial services and other security conscious industries worldwide often seek network solutions with FIPS certification.
- Ciena’s 10G wire-speed encryption solution, available on the 565 and 5100/5200 Advanced Services Platforms, is the first integrated transport encryption solution to successfully complete the FIPS 140-2 Level 2 certification process. It was awarded certificate #1773 by the NIST and CSE.
- With this achievement, Ciena now offers a FIPS certified ultra-low latency solution integrated with the company’s transport platforms to address the security and encryption requirements of its government and enterprise customers.
- The newly certified solution is interoperable with other Ciena platforms, namely the company’s 4200 Advanced Services Platform, 6500 Packet-Optical Transport Platform, CoreDirector FS Multiservice Optical Switch and 5430 Reconfigurable Switching System. This solution also complements Ciena’s existing FIPS-certified Optical Metro 5130 platform, which offers a 1G encryption and data compression solution.
- “U.S. and Canadian government agencies, along with many enterprises worldwide, rely on FIPS validation as an independent endorsement of the security strength of the products they need. While many providers of encryption solutions only offer standalone services, we are offering a protocol agnostic solution integrated with ultra-low latency transport. Government departments and enterprises where network security is of optimum importance, such as healthcare and finance, will be able to take advantage of the only all-in-one solution that has withstood the toughest security standards for a simplified deployment and management of its encryption solution.” – David Peed, Vice President and General Manager, Ciena Government Solutions, Inc.
- Ciena's encryption solution simplifies the deployment of secure network services for enterprises by combining market-leading optical transport technologies with powerful, standards-based encryption functionality in a single, integrated infrastructure — minimizing points for potential network failure and significantly reducing capital and operating expenditures by eliminating the need of standalone encryption-only network elements.
- Ciena offers a range of 1G and 10G packet (Ethernet) encryption and bulk network encryption options. With bulk encryption, network operators can securely transport encrypted data across a carrier’s unsecured network, light encrypted optical waves directly on dark fiber, or deploy fully-integrated managed wavelength services.
- Ciena also provides transparent wire-speed service, using the internationally recognized Advanced Encryption Standards (AES 256) algorithm for securing sensitive information.
- Application Note: Wire-Speed Encryption Solution
- Application Note: Putting Assured Networking to Work for Government
- Application Note: Encryption Testing and Certification
- Video: Network Encryption Managed Service
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV