GERMANTOWN, Md., Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES), the global leader in broadband satellite networks and services, announced today that it has signed a contract with the Mexican Ministry of Communications and Transport (SCT) to supply and build an 11,000-site broadband satellite network that will span the entire country and bring high-speed Internet and voice connectivity to previously unserved regions.
The new $24 million network will connect schools, hospitals, government locations, community centers and public calling offices across Mexico's 32 states. Hughes is contracted to roll out the network in five months, starting now. The company won the contract through a competitive selection process that included major international and Mexican broadband satellite equipment providers. The network will be operated by Telecomunicaciones de Mexico (Telecomm Telegrafos), a decentralized government office in charge of telecommunications in Mexico with a great deal of proven experience in satellite operations.
"Hughes has been providing products and services to SCT for 25 years, and has proven it is a reliable supplier to the Mexican government," said Monica Aspe Bernal, coordinator of SCT's Agency for Knowledge and Information. "On a project of this scope and importance, an open public competitive bidding process is mandatory. Other major broadband satellite equipment providers participated in the bid and Hughes' proposal came out on top."Hughes will supply every component of the network, from its advanced HN System Network Operations Center and 11,000 broadband terminals, to the fiber optic/Internet interconnection equipment, data compression/optimization technology, IP phones and wireless access systems to serve remote locations. Almost 1100 solar power systems will be supplied to support equipment off the power grid.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV