SANTA MONICA, Calif., and VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Propelled by its blockbuster TWILIGHT SAGA and HUNGER GAMES young adult franchises, Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF), a leading global entertainment company, has become the first studio outside the traditional majors to eclipse the $1 billion mark at the domestic box office in a single calendar year, the Company reported today.
The Company also expects to roar across the $1 billion mark at the international box office and the $2 billion mark at the worldwide box office (domestic and international combined) in the next few weeks as THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN – PART 2 continues to build on its franchise record-shattering opening weekend of $340.9 million at the worldwide box office, outpacing the best previous TWILIGHT installment by approximately 40 percent to date.
A commercially powerful Lionsgate slate including the blockbuster first film in THE HUNGER GAMES franchise, which grossed $408 million at the domestic box office and is the 13 th highest-grossing domestic release of all time, and TWILIGHT SAGA BREAKING DAWN – PART 2 have combined to push Lionsgate's domestic box office total to $1.08 billion with nearly two months remaining in the calendar year and TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN – PART 2 just beginning its theatrical run.The Company will also open the critically-acclaimed drama THE IMPOSSIBLE on December 21 st. THE IMPOSSIBLE has already launched in Spain with a mammoth box office haul of nearly $50 million, ranking second all time at the Spanish box office behind AVATAR. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN – PART 2 achieved the best opening weekend worldwide box office performance in TWILIGHT franchise history with franchise bests in numerous major territories around the world, including –
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV