Tesla has shown that the demand for $80,000 to $110,000 all-electric cars is strong. GM has shown that the demand for $40,000 Chevrolet Volts is strong, selling thousands every month globally.
Now the opportunity is there for Ford, GM, Toyota and others to fill that $40,000 to $80,000 space with large minivans and SUVs that have a 16 kW battery, large electric motor, and a 2 liter 4-cylinder range extender.
The Ford C-Max Energi is a praiseworthy but very small step in this direction. Much more is needed.
At the time of submitting this article, the author had no positions in the companies mentioned. Follow @antonwahlmanThis article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV