NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ford (F) C-Max Energi just entered production in October and I got a chance to take it for a very brief city spin a week ago. A more meaningful test, which would involve at least two to three days of highway driving and electric-range testing, will hopefully be forthcoming sooner rather than later.
In terms of its powertrain, the C-Max Energi slots in slightly closer to the Toyota (TM) Prius Plug-In than GM's (GM) Chevrolet Volt. The total size of the battery capacity in the C-Max Energi is 7.6 kW, compared to 4.4 in the Prius and 16.5 in the Volt.
While the Prius will only take you six miles on electricity, the C-Max will do 21, which is still far behind the Volt's 38 miles. Once those all-electric miles are over, the Prius performs at 50 MPG, the C-Max at 43 and the Volt at 38 MPG.
The C-Max differs compared to the Prius by being able to operate in all-electric mode for its first phase. It does so by limiting performance a little bit, however, topping at 85 MPH.The Prius sees its gasoline engine cut in at moderate acceleration, or if you drive near or a bit above 60 MPH. As such, the Prius really operates in "blended" gasoline/electric mode for 11 miles (6 of whom are electric), again compared to the C-Max's 21 all-electric miles.
|Ford's 2013 C-Max Energi|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV