DEERFIELD, Ill., Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Mondelez International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) today unveiled "Cocoa Life" – the company's largest, most comprehensive cocoa sustainability effort to date. As the world's largest chocolate company, it will invest $400 million over the next ten years to improve the livelihoods and living conditions of more 200,000 cocoa farmers and about one million people in cocoa farming communities. Cocoa Life will bring a $100 million new investment to Cote d'Ivoire -- the world's largest cocoa producing country -- to help 75,000 farmers double their productivity.
"I'm proud of Mondelez International's $400 million investment in Cocoa Life -- a distinctive, holistic approach to cocoa sustainability that will create a cycle of growth from bean to bar," said Tim Cofer, Executive Vice President and President, Europe, speaking from Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire at the World Cocoa Conference. "Our mission is to create thriving cocoa communities and help secure the future of the cocoa industry."
Cocoa Life will collaborate with governments, civil society and suppliers with a mission to transform the cocoa supply chain. The company is already working with third party experts such the United Nations Development Program, World Wildlife Fund and Anti-Slavery International to develop a robust set of principles for success and ways to measure progress."At the heart of Cocoa Life is our belief in improving the lives of cocoa farmers," said Bharat Puri, Senior Vice President, Global Chocolate. "We're investing in much more than farming – it's about empowering cocoa communities as a whole so cocoa farming villages become places where people want to live." Cocoa Life's approach is to create win-win relationships and benefit farming communities by working with partners in four key ways:
- Farming: helping farmers improve their yields and livelihoods to earn larger incomes.
- Community: empowering cocoa farming families to create the kind of communities they and their children want to live in, while promoting gender equality.
- Youth: working towards eliminating child labor by helping communities tackle its root causes. Making cocoa farming a more attractive profession for the next generation.
- Environment: protecting the landscapes in which cocoa is grown to maintain eco-systems and provide viable environments and farming land for future generations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV