For evidence of iPad's success, first, a Cowen and Co. survey found that 12% of respondents plan to purchase a mini in the next 18 months. More than half have never owned a tablet before. Just 16% will use it as a replacement for another device; of those, 29% will replace an iPad, 13% a Kindle Fire and in horrible news for Microsoft (MSFT), 42% plan to replace a Windows PC.
Second, in more bad news for Microsoft, USA Today reported survey results of 135,000 Windows users, gathered by anti-virus company Avast. Just 16% of respondents plan to purchase a new computer, a sparse 9% of that total says it will speed up that purchase because of Windows 8, but a whopping 30% of total respondents plan on switching to an iPad, while 12% intend to buy a Mac.
And regarding Apple's fortunes generally, the catalyst we have all been waiting for might finally be close. Although All Things D tossed some cold water on the rumor, an analyst from Jefferies describes the launch of iTV/Apple TV as "imminent." Any movement on the next new and big thing helps because the long-term concern associated with a Tim Cook-led Apple looms large . . . and rightfully so.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV