Volvo Car Corporation Ramps Up Assembly Of The World's First Diesel Plug-in Hybrid
GOTHENBURG, Sweden, November 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Volvo Car Corporation is now ramping up production of the new Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid. After the initial batch of 1,000 model year 2013 cars, production will increase to 4,000-6,000 cars as of model year 2014.
The assembly of the world's first diesel plug-in hybrid has been successfully integrated on the same line as the company's other models at the Torslanda plant in Gothenburg.
To view the Multimedia News Release, please click:http://www.multivu.com/mnr/58647-volvo-first-diesel-plug-in-hybrid This is a remarkable achievement considering that the sophisticated plug-in hybrid technology includes two complete drive trains and a powerful battery that provides a range of up to 50 kilometres on pure electric power. "We are first in the industry to integrate a plug-in hybrid in an established production flow together with other car models," says Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President Research and Development at Volvo Car Corporation. "The integration in the standard production flow gives the plug-in hybrid buyer the possibility to choose in principle all options available for the standard V60." Over 300 more parts All the additional equipment and additional systems in the plug-in hybrid have led to parts of the final assembly line being rebuilt and modified. The adaption makes it possible to smoothly integrate the assembly of over 300 more parts that are included in the plug-in hybrid compared to an equivalent V60. A couple of examples of the integrated production flow:
- The electric motor along with its drive shafts is fitted on the same station as the final drive on the standard four-wheel drive models.
- The cooling system and the high-voltage cables are assembled on the Pallet, which is used to assemble the car's drive train and chassis parts.
- The battery pack is lifted in through the car's tailgate short side forward. It is then spun a quarter of a turn in the passenger compartment - a manoeuvre that takes 60 seconds and carried out with less than 20 millimetres to spare.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV