By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Pipeline company Enbridge Energy (EEP) is drawing bullish option activity.
OptionMonster's tracking programs Friday showed the purchase of about 2,800 December 27.50 calls, most of which priced for 85 cents. Volume was more than 50 times open interest at the strike, indicating that new positions were initiated.
Those calls lock in $27.50 as the purchase price on EEP shares in the next five weeks, no matter how high the stock goes. That will provide significant leverage in the event of a rally, but the contracts will lose all their value from even a modest decline.Enbridge's stock rose 2.36% to $28.25 on Friday and is trying to build support around the same $27.50 area where it bounced in June. The stock had peaked above $30 earlier this month. Total option volume in the name was five times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 32 to 1. Russell has no positions in EEP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV