By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Pipeline company Enbridge Energy (EEP) is drawing bullish option activity.
OptionMonster's tracking programs Friday showed the purchase of about 2,800 December 27.50 calls, most of which priced for 85 cents. Volume was more than 50 times open interest at the strike, indicating that new positions were initiated.
Those calls lock in $27.50 as the purchase price on EEP shares in the next five weeks, no matter how high the stock goes. That will provide significant leverage in the event of a rally, but the contracts will lose all their value from even a modest decline.Enbridge's stock rose 2.36% to $28.25 on Friday and is trying to build support around the same $27.50 area where it bounced in June. The stock had peaked above $30 earlier this month. Total option volume in the name was five times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 32 to 1. Russell has no positions in EEP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV