William is president of the leadership group, WAFL (We are Future Leaders). He volunteers at the American Cancer Society and is a member of the varsity fencing team. William would like to become a biomedical researcher.
Allen plays volleyball for his school and participates in an annual mission trip to help residents of impoverished areas. Allen would like to become a doctor.
The team was mentored by Dr. Terrence Bissoondial, Biological Research Teacher, George W. Hewlett High School, Hewlett, New York.
Regional FinalistsThe remaining regional finalists each received a $1,000 scholarship. Regional Finalists in the individual category were:
- Ranjeev Chabra, Syosset High School, Syosset, New York
- Christina Chen, Newton North High School, Newton, Massachusetts
- David Hamann, Yorktown High School, Yorktown Heights, New York
- Peijin Zhang, Lexington High School, Lexington, Massachusetts
- Team Regional Finalists were:
- Evan Chernack, South Side High School, Rockville Centre, New York, and Aneri Kinariwalla, Sayville High School, Sayville, New York
- Vickram Gidwani, Horace Mann School, New York, New York, and Daniel McQuaid, Ossining High School, Ossining, New York
- Anna Guo and Jasmine Lam, Midwood High School at Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, New York
- Shweta Iyer and Shilpa Iyer, Comsewogue High School, Port Jefferson Station, New York