New IAEA Report Reconfirms Dangers Of Iran's Nuclear Program
NEW YORK, Nov. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has just issued its latest report on Iran's nuclear program.
"This report reconfirms the well-known and deep suspicions about Iran's nuclear program," said AJC Executive Director David Harris. "Redoubling coordinated international efforts to end Tehran's quest for nuclear-weapons capability is imperative in the face of this daunting -- and ever growing -- threat to regional and global security."
The IAEA's quarterly report, issued Friday, reported that Fordo, the heavily fortified underground site near Qom, now has its full capacity of 2,784 centrifuges. Installment of the last 644 centrifuges occurred since the previous IAEA report in August.While only a portion of the installed centrifuges are enriching uranium at this time, one European diplomat told the New York Times that the Iranians "could double the rate of production at Fordo very quickly." Iran has ignored UN Security Council demands to suspend uranium enrichment. Tehran also has repeatedly rebuffed efforts by the P5+1 group of six world powers -- Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the U.S. -- to seek a negotiated solution. Nonetheless, U.S. President Barack Obama has offered again to talk to the Iranian leadership, and EU foreign ministers are expected to meet next week to discuss a resumption of talks. Three rounds of talks earlier this year between Iran and the P5 +1 group proved unsuccessful. Instead, the Iranians have been moving closer, as confirmed by the periodic IAEA reports, to the goal of achieving nuclear-weapons capability. SOURCE American Jewish Committee
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV