Common side effects that occurred in more than 10 percent of people who received Avastin for different cancer types, and at least twice the rate of the comparison group, were nosebleeds, headache, high blood pressure, inflammation of the nose, too much protein in the urine, taste change, dry skin, rectal bleeding, tear production disorder, back pain and inflammation of the skin (exfoliative dermatitis). Across all trials, treatment with Avastin was permanently stopped in 8.4 percent to 21 percent of people because of side effects.
Patients who are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant should talk with their doctor about the potential risk of loss of the pregnancy or the potential risk of Avastin to the fetus during and following Avastin therapy, and the need to continue an effective birth control method for at least six months following the last dose of Avastin. Women should be advised to discontinue nursing or discontinue treatment with Avastin, taking into account the importance of Avastin to the mother.
In the glioblastoma clinical trial AVF3708g, the most common side effects in people who received Avastin alone were infection (occurred in 55 percent of people), tiredness (occurred in 45 percent of people), headache (occurred in 37 percent of people), high blood pressure (occurred in 30 percent of people), nosebleeds (occurred in 19 percent of people), and diarrhea (occurred in 21 percent of people). Some of these common side effects were severe to life-threatening or fatal: infection (occurred in 10 percent of people), tiredness (occurred in 4 percent of people), headache (occurred in 4 percent of people), high blood pressure (occurred in 8 percent of people), and diarrhea (occurred in 1 percent of people). Two fatalities were possibly related to Avastin: one from bleeding in the abdomen, and one from severely reduced white blood cell counts that led to infection.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV