It's Black Friday For Fender-benders, Too
It's Black Friday. Like 71 million other shoppers, you are at the local mall.
You spent hours waiting for the doors to open and another few hours loading your cart with bargains. You have crossed every name off your list and astonished yourself with the savings. It's time to head home.
As you back out of your parking spot, looking carefully behind you, your front fender creases the door of the car next to you.
Black Friday just got a lot more expensive.Parking lot accidents are almost a holiday tradition. Maria Cashy, spokesperson for Progressive Insurance, says almost 25 percent of Black Friday accident claims occur in parking lots.
An accident waiting to happenWhile "Black Friday" as a term has been around since the 1960s, the day after Thanksgiving passed the Saturday before Christmas as the year's busiest shopping day only in 2003. In the years since, according to the National Retail Federation (NRF), the number of shoppers who venture out to stores or online over the Thanksgiving weekend has soared from 140 million in 2006 to more than 220 million in 2011. This year, the NRF predicts 71 million shoppers will hit the stores on Friday alone. "Hit" being the operative word. Progressive looked at Black Friday data and discovered that overall claims on the mother of all shopping days had doubled from 2010 to 2011 -- and parking lot claims had increased 36 percent. According to Progressive, the most common claims on Black Friday were:
- Rear-ended someone/got rear-ended: 12.57 percent
- Struck a parked car/your parked car was struck: 11.13 percent
- Backed into another car/was backed into: 7.68 percent
How to handle a Black Friday accidentWhile most parking lot accidents happen at slow speeds and don't usually result in serious damage, they can affect your insurance rates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV