Paramount Citrus Cuts The Ribbon On State-Of-The-Art Cuties® Plant, Largest Citrus Packinghouse In The World
DELANO, Calif., Nov. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Paramount Citrus today celebrated the grand opening of its new citrus packinghouse, which will be home to the company's sweet, seedless, E-Z peel™ Cuties® California Mandarins. The facility measures in at more than 640,000 square feet – the equivalent of 11 football fields under roof – making it the world's largest citrus packinghouse.
"This new Cuties® Plant gives us a lot to be proud of, but it's not about being the biggest, it's about striving to be the best in the industry," said Stewart Resnick, chairman and owner of Roll Global, parent company to Paramount Citrus. "Whether it's through our commitments to quality, innovation, operational excellence, or the use of sustainable energy, we aim to be in an industry-leading position, both for Paramount Citrus and the Cuties® brand."
The Cuties Plant was built to keep up with the demand for the small fruit that has taken the U.S. citrus market by storm. Last season, Paramount Citrus and its partners packed and shipped 60 million boxes of Cuties®. That number is expected to reach 90 million this year; and in less than five years, shipments are expected to reach 140 million boxes."We've planted a lot of Cuties® trees over the past several years and the consumption and demand has consistently increased," said Paramount Citrus President David Krause. "We need this facility to handle all the new volume coming on line." The Cuties® Plant is the largest single capital investment in Roll Global's history, and reinforces the company's commitment to innovation, operational excellence and clean technology. Nearly every aspect of the facility is industry leading:
- Clean Technology: Half of the power used at the Cuties® Plant will come from "green energy" generation. The Cuties® Plant's roof is home to a 2.7MW solar plant which will generate 15 percent of the power for the Cuties® Plant, making it one of the largest customer-owned rooftop solar plants in the U.S. Additionally, a 1.6MW fuel cell, which produces electricity from natural gas with no combustion, will supply a further 35 percent of the power required to run the Cuties® Plant.
- Innovative Operations: The Cuties® Plant features presort lines from Compac for the sizing and grading of its fruit – one of which measures in at 310 feet, making it the longest electronic grader and sizer in the world.
- Food Safety Excellence: The Cuties® Plant was constructed using 100 percent precast concrete panels, which not only allowed the building to be constructed more quickly – construction took two years and was completed in time for this fall's harvest – but also provide the best food safety conditions. There are no voids or ledges, making the ceiling and walls easy to clean.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV