Manufacturing is coming back, not just mass production, but the use of affordable 3D printing and robotics to create custom, high-margin goods at low cost. Cloud computing, wireless networking and mobile clients that are literally as cheap as chips. We have a workforce that's better educated than China's and younger than Europe's.
Do I have to go on? The future looks so good you need shades.
Over the last 10 years, while Americans have been fighting in the Middle East and with one another, more Africans have come out of true poverty, into something resembling a middle class life, than ever before, as Hannes van Rensburg wrote last week in Forbes. The World Bank says the Latin American middle class has grown 50% over the last decade.
These are huge export markets, more buyers for whatever you're selling.Both of my kids are going to be graduating from college in the next few years, and what I'm telling them is that their ceiling is unlimited. Yes, we have huge challenges, like climate change and mass species extinction. But we also have the tools to deal with them, the abundance of Moore's Law and a slow unwinding of the "kill 'em all" attitude that made the 20th century such a horror show. Stock prices will fluctuate. Headlines will scream doom. Problems will seem intractable. But every problem creates opportunity. Opportunities are only getting bigger. You should be taking advantage of them. At the time of publication, the author had no investments in companies mentioned in this story. He has more fun picking stocks. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV