More Than Words: Vocabulary And Reading Comprehension -- New Results From The Nation's Report Card Reveal Students' Knowledge Of Word Meaning In Context
WASHINGTON, Nov. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new report from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) on vocabulary skills and reading comprehension will be released on Dec. 6, 2012, via a live webinar. This first-of-its-kind report card on vocabulary results from the 2009 and 2011 NAEP reading assessments reveals how students' understanding of words relates to their reading comprehension. Webinar participants will learn about national- and state-level data showing how well students at grades 4, 8, and 12 use words to extract meaning from what they read, beyond merely recalling definitions.
A distinguished panel of experts will discuss the report's findings and provide insights based on their experience and expertise. Webinar panelists include:
- Jack Buckley, Commissioner, National Center for Education Statistics
- Francie Alexander, Senior Vice President and Chief Academic Officer, Scholastic Inc.
- Brent Houston, Principal, Shawnee Middle School, Shawnee, Okla.
- Margaret McKeown, Senior Scientist, Learning Research and Development Center, and Clinical Professor, Department of Instruction and Learning, University of Pittsburgh School of Education
- Cornelia Orr, Executive Director, National Assessment Governing Board (moderator)
What: Webinar event – More Than Words: Vocabulary and Reading ComprehensionWhen: Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at 11 a.m. EST How to register: Visit www.nagb.org/vocabulary-2009-2011 FOR MORE INFORMATION: Visit www.nagb.org/vocabulary-2009-2011 The Nation's Report Card is the largest nationally representative, continuing evaluation of the condition of education in the United States and has served as a national yardstick of student achievement since 1969. Through the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), The Nation's Report Card informs the public about what America's students know and can do in various subject areas and compares achievement data among states and various student demographic groups. The National Assessment Governing Board is an independent, bipartisan board whose members include governors, state legislators, local and state school officials, educators, business representatives, and members of the general public. Congress created the 26-member Governing Board in 1988 to set policy for NAEP. SOURCE National Assessment Governing Board
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV