CINCINNATI, Nov. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) today was awarded a 2012 Excellence in Philanthropy Award from the American Cancer Society.
The honor is given to corporations that have provided $1 million or more to the American Cancer Society during the previous calendar year through a variety of support activities. Kroger is one of 19 companies recognized this year.
Kroger's award is based on the company's enthusiastic support of the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and Relay for Life events across the country."Each year, thousands of Kroger associates commit their energy, time and funds to fight cancer in their communities," said Lynn Marmer, Kroger's group vice president for corporate affairs. "We're so proud to accept this award that recognizes the contribution of each and every Making Strides and Relay for Life team in the Kroger family."
Kroger, one of the world's largest retailers, employs more than 339,000 associates who serve customers in 2,425 supermarkets and multi-department stores in 31 states under two dozen local banner names including Kroger, City Market, Dillons, Jay C, Food 4 Less, Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Soopers, QFC, Ralphs and Smith's. The company also operates 788 convenience stores, 342 fine jewelry stores, 1,124 supermarket fuel centers and 37 food processing plants in the U.S. Recognized by Forbes as the most generous company in America, Kroger supports hunger relief, breast cancer awareness, the military and their families, and more than 30,000 schools and grassroots organizations. Kroger contributes food and funds equal to 160 million meals a year through more than 80 Feeding America food bank partners. A leader in supplier diversity, Kroger is a proud member of the Billion Dollar Roundtable and the U.S. Hispanic Chamber's Million Dollar Club. SOURCE The Kroger Co.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV