Last up is tobacco firm Lorillard (LO), the No. 3 cigarette manufacturer in the U.S. News that the FDA was considering regulatory action against menthol cigarettes was a major black cloud for Lorillard, whose mentholated Newport brand contributes around 94% of sales for the firm. While those black clouds have dissipated a bit, investors are still a bit anxious about the potential for downside in LO.
As a sin stock, Lorillard has some considerable advantages. For starters, it boasts a product with sticky customers, recession-resistant sales and deep net margins. It also pays out a generous 5.47% dividend yield right now, as a result.
While the domestic tobacco business is dying a very slow death, Lorillard's category is actually seeing some growth. Mentholated cigarettes have seen their share of the overall market slowly creep higher, offsetting the declining number of smokers in this country (Lorillard sold off the international rights to Newport in the late 1970s, so international growth rates aren't a consideration here.) Because LO owns more than a third of the mentholated cigarette market, it's been benefitting disproportionately from that trend. With a strong balance sheet and excellent cash-flow generation, the firm looks more than capable of offering investors a near-term dividend hike.To see these dividend plays in action, check out the at Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. At the time of publication, author had no positions in stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV