Stocks Finish Week on Positive Note
"The market wants to move, so the market is going to look at every little headline, every little snippet, every little gaffe, they're going to magnify those, and I think they will react in kind," said Guilfoyle.
Friday's economic data provided little to get excited about. The Federal Reserve said industrial production declined 0.4% in October after having increased by a downwardly revised 0.2% in September.
Capacity utilization fell 0.4 percentage points to 77.8%, a rate 2.5 percentage points below its long-run average, and down from a downwardly revised 78.2% the prior month.
The Fed said that Hurricane Sandy, which held down production in the Northeast region at the end of October, is estimated to have reduced the rate of change in total output by nearly 1 percentage point.Economists were expecting the data to show a 0.2% rise in October output after a 0.4% increase in September, and capacity utilization levels of 78.3%. The European markets were weak Friday. The FTSE 100 in London finished down by 1.25%, while the DAX in Germany settled off 1.22%. On Friday, Greece looked to have managed to avoid defaulting on Treasury bills after raising enough proceeds through bond auctions this week, though it still remains in urgent need of bailout money. Eurozone finance ministers are expected to convene next Tuesday to discuss unlocking more financial aid for the country. "I don't know how going forward they're
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV