In the discussion at CNBC, Faber, who knows private equity better than anyone, made it clear that the deal is simply too big to ever get done. But lets just say for a moment that it could be.
Maybe it's a good thing if analysts no longer pay as close attention to Microsoft and it falls, even if only slightly, out of the media's bullseye. It can quietly ditch most of the consumer market and focus all efforts -- traditional, mobile, Yammer social -- on the enterprise, which, in many ways, is already a focus given the company's and the PC's struggles with consumers.
Going private, however, at least to some, comes off as Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer saying, Apple sent us for more than a loop. We quit! Neither man strikes me as the type to wave a white flag.
I don't know Ballmer, but my guess is that he would fight the idea tooth and nail.He's certainly in no retreat, no surrender mode. And I sure as heck do not expect him to swallow his pride. Going out in a blaze of glory I can see; admitting he's been wrong for the better part of five years . . . probably not. Follow @rocco_thestreet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV