Wal-Mart And Target: A Tale Of 2 Discounters
Target told investors Thursday that it hasn't offered layaway like Wal-Mart because its customers haven't asked for it. Still, the retailer is playing up value.
Target for the first time is matching prices that customers find on identical products at some online competitors this holiday season, including Walmart.com and Amazon.com. The price match program, which covers the period from Nov. 1 through Dec. 16, is an attempt to combat the "showrooming" trend in which shoppers use their smartphones while they're in stores to browse for products at cheaper prices.
Target's customers may be a little more resilient than Wal-Mart's to the economy's woes, but Target officials said that the retailer expects shoppers to remain cautious
"Our research with (customers) indicates they are continuing to shop with discipline, focusing on lists and budgets and occasionally splurging on more discretionary items," said Target's Tesija.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV