NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Is this market correction, like Yogi Berra would say, "deja vu all over again"? It's an opportunistic time for pension funds and investors of all sizes to reload, repurchase and prepare for good fourth-quarter total return results.
Although no one can predict for sure whether this selloff will get worse before it gets better, our senior colleague and the honorary President of "Cramerica", the "Baron of Booyah," Jim Cramer, shared with us Thursday some reasons why mindless selling at this point is not a sound idea. His five-point thesis is as follows:
1. We are very, very oversold and people are getting very negative. We all accept that we are going down and many are taking action.
2. Many stocks will be impacted when we go over the fiscal cliff. Notice I said "when" because unless politicians rise above, we are going over it. But other stocks, international stocks with bases here that sell soft goods that make them buyers of commodities, will do well and they need to be bought into the weakness.3. Everything in the end gets discounted, meaning that we can adjust to anything and when we get there any new negatives won't mean much. But a new positive or a deal will send us soaring. 4. The new taxes and spending cuts, while draconian, will not be the end of the world for the big secular growth stories out there, including health and wellness, as well the desire for a bargain. 5. Plenty of companies have the power to raise dividends to where even the after-tax the returns are far superior to bonds. These make good sense to me, and I've been an investor and financial researcher for going on four decades, which is amazing since I'm only 49 years old (OK, I'm shaving off a few years, but Jim's five points are rock solid). Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real money portfolio for his charitable trust- enjoy advance notice of every trade, full access to the portfolio, and deep coverage of the latest economic events and market movements. Apparently there are some prominent company insiders who see this market correction in a positive light and have been using it to purchase even more shares of the companies they direct.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV