Artificial Disc Brings Increased Mobility And Rapid Recovery To Patients Suffering Chronic Neck Pain In The Midwest
Saint Luke's Neurosurgeon performs first Bryan Disc surgery in Missouri, Kansas and Iowa
KANSAS CITY, Mo., Nov. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- For many years cervical fusion was the only surgical option for patients suffering from chronic neck pain or single cervical disc degeneration. The recent creation and approval of artificial discs have offered patients a new treatment option which allows greater mobility and range of motion and dramatically improved recovery times. However, these initial artificial discs utilized hardware such as screws and pins.
On Nov. 13, 2012, H. Dennis Mollman, M.D., Ph.D. of Saint Luke's Neuroscience Institute of Kansas City, performed the first Bryan Disc surgery in Missouri, Kansas and Iowa, offering patients in the Midwest a new option for dealing with chronic neck pain. The Bryan Disc is an artificial cervical disc replacement which requires no hardware and can simply slide in and replace the patient's damaged natural disc.
"In the past cervical fusion was the standard treatment option," said Dr. Mollman, "Fusing the bones together limited range of motion and generally required a three month recovery as we waited for the bones to grow together. The Bryan Disc allows patients to retain or regain range of motion and most are back to their normal activities within two weeks, a vastly improved recovery time."As opposed to a lengthy cervical fusion surgery of four to six hours, the Bryan Disc surgery takes approximately 45 minutes. Patients generally leave the hospital the next day. According to Dr. Mollman, these factors, coupled with the fact the Bryan Disc more closely resembles the patient's own natural disc, make it an appealing treatment option for patients considering cervical fusion or disc replacement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV