Dell announced fiscal 2013 third-quarter results today with revenue of $13.7 billion, GAAP operating income of $589 million, and GAAP earnings of $0.27 per share. Dell’s enterprise solution strategy continued to show positive results with server and networking revenue increasing 11 percent year over year.
“We are consistently executing our end-to-end solutions strategy for the benefit of our customers,” said Michael Dell, Chairman and CEO. “In the quarter, we completed the acquisition of Quest Software which – along with other recent acquisitions like SonicWALL and Wyse – adds leading management, security, virtualization and cloud capabilities to our expanding portfolio of powerful solutions.”
“In a difficult global IT spending environment we saw solid proof points that demonstrate progress in our strategy,” said Brian Gladden, Dell CFO. “A highlight has been the strong progress of our newly introduced servers, with our server and networking business up 11 percent. We’re also encouraged by early interest in our new Windows 8 touch portfolio and the opportunities it creates for our commercial and consumer businesses.”
Mr. Gladden added that strong cash flow from operations generated over the past two years continued with $1.3 billion in the quarter and, combined with a strong cash position this fiscal year, helped enable Dell to invest in new capabilities and return almost $900 million year to date to shareholders through the company’s recently adopted dividend and share repurchases.Results
- Revenue in the quarter was $13.7 billion, an 11 percent decrease from the previous year as desktop and mobility revenue contracted.
- GAAP operating income for the quarter was $589 million, or 4.3 percent of revenue. Non-GAAP operating income was $886 million, or 6.5 percent of revenue.
- GAAP earnings per share in the quarter was 27 cents, down 45 percent from the previous year; non-GAAP EPS was 39 cents, down 28 percent.
- Cash flow from operations in the quarter was $1.3 billion. Dell ended the quarter with $14.2 billion in cash and investments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV