- Net sales were $135.5 million compared to net sales of $152.1 million for the prior year third quarter.
- Consolidated comparable store sales declined 13.5%. Comparable store sales for Wet Seal declined 13.5% and for Arden B declined 13.8%.
- Operating loss was $24.8 million, compared to operating income of $6.1 million, or 4.0% of net sales, in the prior year third quarter.
- The current year quarter included $2.1 million in professional fees to defend against a shareholder proxy solicitation to replace a majority of the Company’s board members. The proxy solicitation ultimately led to an agreement to replace four of the Company’s seven board members during the quarter.
- The current year quarter included $1.0 million in incremental legal fees for employment-related litigation and $0.6 million in charges for estimated settlement costs for various employment-related matters. The prior year quarter included a $1.3 million reversal of accrued incentive compensation expense, which reflected reduced expectations for achievement of incentive targets for the fiscal year.
- The current year and prior year quarters included $6.5 million and $0.7 million in non-cash asset impairment charges, respectively. Excluding the impact of these non-cash charges and the current year proxy solicitation costs, operating loss would have been $16.2 million in the current year quarter, compared to operating income of $6.8 million, or 4.5% of net sales, in the prior year quarter.
- Net loss was $14.8 million, or $0.17 per diluted share, as compared to net income of $3.7 million, or $0.04 per diluted share, in the prior year quarter. Excluding the after-tax effect of the non-cash asset impairment charges and proxy solicitation costs, net loss in the current year quarter would have been $9.7 million, or $0.11 per diluted share. Excluding the after-tax effect of the non-cash asset impairment charges, net income in the prior year quarter would have been $4.1 million, or $0.05 per diluted share.
- As of quarter-end, the Company’s inventory per square foot was up 3% versus the prior year quarter, with Wet Seal up 5% and Arden B down 7%.
- The Company ended the quarter with $126.3 million of cash and cash equivalents and no debt. Due to the timing of quarter-end, the Company had not yet paid $9.6 million of its November rents and other landlord costs at that time. Typically, including at the end of the prior year quarter, the Company had made these payments during the quarter being reported.
The Wet Seal, Inc. Announces Third Quarter Fiscal 2012 Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.