As listed above the market has given the stock a thumbs up while it has seemed to pass on the rest of the sporting goods stocks. Some of it's competitors are listed below:Cabela has a financial strength of B++ and is rated B by TheStreet Ratings. Revenue is projected to be up 10.30% next year and earnings looking to increase by 16.75% annually for the next five years. Dick's Sporting Goods has a financial strength of B+ and TheStreet Ratings gives the stock an A-. Revenue is predicted to be up 8.1% next year and earnings might be up 14.79% annually for the next five years. Hibbett Sports has a B++ financial strength and is rated B. Revenue is estimated to be up 6.6% next year and earnings to increase annually by 15.67% for the next five years out.
Conclusion: Before the recent upbeat earnings report, Big 5 Sporting Goods was not a nationally recognized brand. Even with the recent price jump I think long-term investors still have an opportunity to buy at a reasonable P/E of 22.
At the present time they are located in only 25% of the states so they have room to grow the brand across the country and eventually become a national brand. As always watch the moving averages and turtle channels for signs of weakness:Follow @JimVanMeerten This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV