What Is Pay-as-you-drive Insurance?
Question: What is a pay-as-you-drive plan? I only drive 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year. Would this type of insurance program save me money?
Answer: Yes, it's very possible that a pay-as-you drive (PAYD) insurance plan could save you money. Keep in mind, though, besides tracking how many miles you drive, these auto insurance programs also typically monitor your driving behavior before deciding if you'll receive a discount. (See “Plug in, drive less, save more”)
There are low-mileage discounts available through many car insurance providers, and if you put only 3,000 miles on your car a year you should have no problem qualifying for a discount of between 5 and 15 percent.
To get better discounts (some auto insurance companies tout a discount of up to 50 percent), you'll need to allow the insurance company to track your mileage and monitor your general behavior as a driver. If your driving patterns show you to be a low-risk driver, you should qualify for a decent discount.To track your driving style, PAYD insurance programs use either a telematics system already installed in your vehicle, such as OnStar, or the insurer will provide you with a device that plugs into your vehicle. The plug-in device will report on your mileage, hours of operation, braking and rate of speed. PAYD plans are not for everyone. If you drive during peak hours, brake hard and/or accelerate quickly, then your discount will likely be rather low -- if one is offered at all. Many motorists using telematics insurance plans complain that the braking measurement is too sensitive, so one must be incredibly easy with the brakes to obtain a higher discount. Some insurers have noted that they find drivers are willing to change and improve their driving habits because the information they receive from the telematics device. If improvement is shown, then the discount can increase for the driver.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV