Govt Files Charges In 'business Opportunity' Scams
WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ The government has filed criminal and civil charges against several individuals and companies accused of ripping off unemployed and other vulnerable people with work-at-home and other business scams.
The Justice Department announced the cases Thursday. The government has been cracking down in recent years on con artists who prey on jobless people and seniors with promises of big profits in return for a fee. The rise in unemployment since the recession began has led to an increase in such scams, officials say.
The latest cases involve criminal charges against 14 individuals and civil allegations against three companies, Justice said. The schemes include so-called business opportunities working at home, selling jewelry or energy candy, and operating vending machines.
The three companies named are Zaken Corp., Christopher Andrew Sterling and Smart Tools.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV