Traders should now look for long-biased trades in NAT once it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance level $8.96 to $9.60 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average volume of 580,138 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then NAT will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $10.50 to $11.50 a share.
One could look to buy NAT off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and then simply use a stop that sits just below some near-term support at $8.20 a share. Traders can also just buy off strength once NAT takes out $8.96 a share with volume and then simply use the same stop below $8.20 a share. I would look to add to either position once NAT clears its 50-day at $9.60 with volume.
Keep in mind that the current short interest as a percentage of the float for NAT is rather high at 10.6%. This is a decent amount of shorts involved in NAT, so we could easily see a large short-squeeze develop if the stock triggers that breakout soon.
To see more breakout candidates, check out the Breakout Stocks of the Week portfolio on Stockpickr.-- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV