Not all of the setups we're looking at today are bullish -- we're capping things off with a bearish setup forming in Northeast Utilities (NU) right now. A quick glimpse at NU's chart should be enough to give traders a pretty good look at what's going on: shares hit their head on $40.50 resistance twice in the last several months, topping out as buying pressure got completely stomped out by sellers looking to take gains at that level.
In technical parlance, that's created a "double top" setup in NU. For a double top pattern, the sell signal comes when shares break down below the trough that separates the two peaks -- in NU's case, that price level is $36.50, a price that also acted as support way back in May. Now, $36.50 is the closest place where NU can consistently catch a bid -- if shares move below that level, then much more downside looks likely.This is a longer-term setup, which means that it's got longer-term trading implications when and if it triggers. While that's unlikely to happen this week, it should pay off for traders who keep an eye on it. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. At the time of publication, author had no positions in stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV