The exact same setup is shaping up in shares of London-based specialty publisher Reed Elsevier (RUK). Like SNY, Reed Elsevier has been rallying since June, climbing more than 30% since the start of the month.
And also like SNY, this stock has been consolidating sideways in a rectangle since the beginning of fall.In Reed Elsevier, the resistance level at the top of the rectangle comes in at $40, and support is at $38. So, the same if/then rules apply: if RUK breaks out above $40 resistance, then buying pressure has overcome a pocket of gains-taking sellers, and traders have a buy signal. Otherwise, if shares of RUK fall down below $38 support, then it becomes a short candidate. Either way these two trades resolve, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop back just within the rectangle after the breakout happens.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV