First up is Facebook (FB). I feel like every time I mention Facebook, I need to preface it by saying that I'm no fan of this stock. Yes, there are plenty of factors working against this firm right now, and they've all been beaten to death. But with Facebook's shares showing some technical strength this week, it doesn't really matter how anyone feels about the stock -- there's a trade to be made here.
Yesterday, Facebook surprised everyone when it rallied more than 12% after its lockup expired. But in the context of FB's recent price action, the move isn't hugely surprising -- FB has been slowly forming an ascending triangle bottom since August.This setup is formed by horizontal resistance at $23.50 and uptrending support coming in below shares. As FB bounces in between those two technical price levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above that resistance level at $23.50 -- when that happens, we've got a buy signal. Market momentum, measured by 14-day RSI, has been giving us some extra evidence towards the setup in FB -- it's been in an uptrend since early August, well before the bullish setup in shares was fully formed. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's a good sign. I wouldn't touch FB until $23.50 gets broken. Even then, keep a tight stop.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV