NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster."
That's the first line in Goodfellas, a movie that's being mentioned in the news as $1.5 million worth of Apple (AAPL) iPad minis were stolen from JFK airport. It's the largest heist since the audacious Lufthansa robbery at JFK in the 1970's, which is portrayed in the movie.
Two criminals illegally accessed a cargo building at John F. Kennedy airport, according to The NY Post.. The criminals actually had planned to take significantly more of the new tablets, but left the scene of the crime as an airport employee confronted the thugs.
The NY Post's sources seem to indicate that the crime was an inside job, with someone letting them into the building and letting them out following the caper.More than 3,500 units of Apple's latest and greatest were inside the shipment, having just arrived from China. It's ironic that that the crime occurred inside the same cargo building as the 1978 Lufthansa heist. Led by Jimmy "the Gent" Burke, criminals stole more than $5 million in cash and approximately $900,000 in jewelry. The fact that the iPads are individually numbered,though, could help track down the criminals. I wonder whether they'll put too many onions in the sauce once they're behind bars. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV