Jared Woodard: GIS -- Rich Volatility
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
Options Course: On Saturday, December 1, the CBOE, Option Pit and OptionsProfits are hosting a full-day class, Using Volatility to Improve Directional Trading CLICK HERE FOR INVITE AND TO REGISTER.
One stock that held up well on Wednesday and during the last few weeks is General Mills (GIS). The cerealist rallied 1.3% on the day and the stock is now less than 1% from its 52-week high. Consumer staples have acted well as investors reprice risk - peers like H.J. Heinz (HNZ) and Kellogg (K) are also not far from making new highs.
Option volume in GIS on Wednesday was 14% above normal, but it was not aggressive call-buying. Instead, investors were actually net sellers of option premium with a slightly negative delta bias. Most of the call volume was focused in the November 40 strike, which had a closing bid of $0.10. Investors who own shares and sold the 40 calls will make a quick 0.25% gain on their holdings if GIS doesn't rally above that level by Friday.
Given the possibility that a weak overall market could persist into the end of the month or longer, we like selling a put spread on GIS for December expiration. One month implied volatility, at almost 14% annualized, is well off its lows for the year, and will look rich in retrospect if the stock remains strong.
Trades: Buy to open 1 GIS December 37 put for $0.11 and sell to open 1 GIS December 39 put at $0.37.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV