One stock that held up well on Wednesday and during the last few weeks is General Mills (GIS). The cerealist rallied 1.3% on the day and the stock is now less than 1% from its 52-week high. Consumer staples have acted well as investors reprice risk - peers like H.J. Heinz (HNZ) and Kellogg (K) are also not far from making new highs.
Option volume in GIS on Wednesday was 14% above normal, but it was not aggressive call-buying. Instead, investors were actually net sellers of option premium with a slightly negative delta bias. Most of the call volume was focused in the November 40 strike, which had a closing bid of $0.10. Investors who own shares and sold the 40 calls will make a quick 0.25% gain on their holdings if GIS doesn't rally above that level by Friday.
Given the possibility that a weak overall market could persist into the end of the month or longer, we like selling a put spread on GIS for December expiration. One month implied volatility, at almost 14% annualized, is well off its lows for the year, and will look rich in retrospect if the stock remains strong.
Trades: Buy to open 1 GIS December 37 put for $0.11 and sell to open 1 GIS December 39 put at $0.37.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas