Among the regional banks covered by Credit Suisse, Siegenthaler expects that dividend yields in 2012 will still be the highest for "the small cap banks," but also said that "these names also have higher risk that dividends could get cut over time given the higher earnings payout ratios."
- Bank of Hawaii (BOH) pays a quarterly dividend of 45 cents a share, for a dividend yield of 4.28%, based on Wednesday's closing price of $42.04. With $81 million in dividends and buybacks of $85 million expected for 2012, Siegenthaler expects the company to pay out 100% of its earnings in 2012. The analyst expects the dividend to remain unchanged next year, with buybacks declining to $68 million, for a combined payout ratio of 97% in 2013.
- Fulton Financial (FULT) of Lancaster, Pa., pays a quarterly dividend of eight cents a share, for a dividend yield of 3.46%, based on Wednesday's closing price of $9.26. Siegenthaler expects the company's total payout ratio for 2012 to be 66%, including $60 million in dividends and $44 million in buybacks. The analyst expects the company to raise its quarterly dividend slightly next year, with total dividends of $62 million and buybacks rising to $77 million, for a total payout ratio of 90%.
- Valley National Bancorp (VLY) of Wayne N.J., pays a quarterly dividend of 16 cents, for a yield of 7.34%, based on Wednesday's closing price of $8.72. Siegenthaler estimates the company's 2012 total payout ratio will be 85%, with $126 million in dividends and no buybacks The analyst expects the payout to remain the same in 2013, again with no buybacks, but that the payout ratio will climb to 92% as earnings decline slightly.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.
>Contact by Email.Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV