The storage specialist, which competes with EMC (EMC) and HP (HPQ), comfortably beat Wall Street's earnings estimate in its second-quarter results after market close on Wednesday, and offered healthy guidance.
Facebook (FB) was also a gainer, rising 1.03% to $22.59.
The social networking phenomenon's shares surged during Wednesday trading, closing up 12.59%, as a second lockup period for company insiders expired, making some 800 million shares available for trade.Facebook also unveiled a social jobs app in conjunction with the Department of Labor on Wednesday. The Menlo Park, Calif.-based firm was also the most active premarket tech stocks on share volume of 837,306. Shares of IBM (IBM), which announced a $4 billion financing initiative for business partners' customers early on Thursday, crept up 0.04% to $185.58. The initiative makes obtaining credit easier, enabling IBM partners such as resellers, distributors and managed service providers to deliver technologies such as cloud and analytics to their customers. "Businesses large and small are a bit challenged in today's tight credit market," said Mark Hennessy, general manager of Global Business Partners and Midmarket at IBM, in an interview with TheStreet. "We really hope to be able to boost our partners and our clients' business around the world." IBM has also launched a new mobile app to simplify the way business partners can apply for and clinch financing for their clients. Dell (DELL), which reports its third-quarter results after market close, gained 0.21% to reach $9.60 before market open. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV