US Futures Mixed On Retailer Earnings
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Stock futures were mixed Thursday as a pair of U.S. retail giants posted better-than-expected profits, but revenue that fell just short.
The Labor Department also reported a surge in unemployment benefit applications due largely to the havoc from Superstorm Sandy in Northeast states.
Dow Jones industrial futures fell 3 points to 12,541. The broader S&P futures dipped 2.2 points to 1,350.80. Nasdaq futures have added 5.75 points to 2,535.25.
Before the opening bell Thursday, shares of Wal-Mart fell more than 3 percent. Its expectations for the current quarter fell shy of Wall Street expectations. An investigation into bribery allegations in Mexico also may be expanding to a number of other countries.In a filing with the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission Thursday, Wal-Mart said that "Inquiries or investigations regarding allegations of potential (U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) violations have been commenced in a number of foreign markets where we operate, including but not limited to Brazil, China and India." Superstorm Sandy drove the number of people seeking unemployment benefits up to a seasonally adjusted 439,000 last week, the highest level in 18 months, the Labor Department said. The storm struck the East Coast on Oct. 29 and left wide swaths of damage from North Carolina to Maine. The storm also cut power to roughly 8 million homes and businesses, and some are still without power. Retailers in the region were also affected and most closed stores at some point. Target reported a higher profit for the third quarter, but said that comparable store sales rose 2.9 percent, which was a slower growth rate than last year. Sears and the Gap post their quarter earnings after the bell Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV