That accounts for some of the buying, but surely not all of it given the big percentage move the stock's having, coupled with the hideous action in the stock market overall.
What else is behind the surge? I think there is a sense that after an initial period where Facebook was blindsided by the quick migration of traffic from the desktop to the smart phone, and the concomitantly lower prices for advertisements that mobile gets, management was able to re-adjust and find lucrative ways to capitalize off the trend.
Their strategies have allowed them to improve profitability and better harness and monetize the billion users who have signed up for the site, many of whom access it regularly.
I think Facebook's turned the corner here. Many of the companies I talk and listen to have recently embraced advertising in Facebook, as we just heard from luxury goods purveyor Michael Kors (KORS), as well as from advertisers as varied as Buffalo Wild Wings (BWLD), Domino's (DPZ) and Procter & Gamble (PG). The fact that there's so much buying today tells me I am not alone.So, do you buy it up here? Everything seems to sell off in this market after a one or two day rally on good news, so you want to be careful after this gain. That said, if you don't own it already, I think you should take the plunge if it comes in. Yep, today's action tells you the worst is over for Facebook and, perhaps, the best is yet to come.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV