Since JEF pays its shareholders a 30 cents a share dividend, it may not be overly optimistic to anticipate a dividend increase for LUK's shareholders.
Keep in mind that Handler has ruled JEF for 11 years, and considering stock splits the value of its shares have increased almost 140% under his leadership. LUK has been purchasing JEF shares since 2008.
From numerous perspectives the buyout of JEF bodes well for LUK shareholders. The more cautious approach to accumulating LUK shares is to buy some now that the news is on the table and the stock market is in a swoon.
Then as the benefits or liabilities of the JEF deal become more apparent, consider another helping. Proceed with plenty of due diligence and consider that LUK's value is most likely greater than the sum of its many parts.Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, finds you Stocks Under $10 picks with explosive upside potential. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Make smarter trading decisions and provide investment ideas that could help make you richer. Bryan Ashenberg does the dirty work so you don't have to. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV