Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) today reported third quarter net earnings of $637 million, or $0.96 per share, which includes a 15-cent gain from the pending sale of its credit-card receivables portfolio. 1 Adjusted earnings per share, a measure the company believes is useful in providing period-to-period comparisons of the results of its U.S. operations, were $0.90 in third quarter 2012, up 4.3 percent from $0.86 in 2011. A reconciliation of non-GAAP financial measures to GAAP measures is provided in the tables attached to this press release. All earnings per share figures refer to diluted earnings per share.
“We’re pleased with Target’s third quarter financial performance, which reflects superb execution across each of our business segments,” said Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president, and chief executive officer of Target Corporation. “We are well-positioned to deliver strong fourth quarter performance by offering compelling merchandise and unbeatable value through initiatives like the Target/Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection, 5% REDcard Rewards and our new Holiday Price Match which allow our guests to shop at Target with confidence throughout the holiday season.”
1Please refer to the detail provided in the reconciliation of GAAP to adjusted EPS in the tables attached to this release.
Fiscal 2012 Earnings Guidance
For fourth quarter 2012, the company expects adjusted EPS of $1.64 to $1.74 and GAAP EPS of $1.45 to $1.55. The 19-cent difference between these ranges reflects the expected EPS impact of expenses related to the company’s Canadian market entry.U.S. Retail Segment Results As previously reported, sales increased 3.4 percent to $16.6 billion in third quarter 2012 from $16.1 billion last year, reflecting a 2.9 percent increase in comparable-store sales combined with the contribution from new stores.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV