Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) today reported financial results for the quarter ended Oct. 31, 2012. Net sales for the third quarter of fiscal 2013 were $113.2 billion, an increase of 3.4 percent from $109.5 billion in the third quarter last year. Net sales for this quarter included a negative currency exchange rate impact of approximately $1.7 billion. Without the currency impact, net sales would have been $114.9 billion. Membership and other income increased 2.1 percent to $725 million. Total revenue was $113.9 billion, an increase of 3.4 percent from last year.
Income from continuing operations attributable to Walmart for the quarter was $3.6 billion, up 8.7 percent from the third quarter last year. Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations attributable to Walmart (EPS) for the third quarter of fiscal 2013 were $1.08. By comparison, last year’s reported EPS were $0.97.
The current quarter benefited from a 31.3 percent effective tax rate. This benefit was mostly offset by approximately $105 million in pre-tax charges which are included in operating expenses:
- an approximate $69 million for changes in estimated contingent liabilities related to employment claims in Brazil; and
- an approximate $36 million for damages from Superstorm Sandy, mainly in the Walmart U.S. business.
Solid earnings performance“We’re very pleased with our financial performance for the third quarter and the dedication and hard work of our associates serving Walmart customers and communities around the world,” said Mike Duke, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. president and chief executive officer. “Earnings per share were $1.08, which represents an 11.3 percent increase over the third quarter last year.” The company leveraged operating expenses for the third quarter, delivering on its commitment to reduce costs, improve productivity and invest in price. “Our disciplined approach to operating the business and to the productivity loop drove profitability and expense leverage,” said Duke. “Our fundamentals are strong, and we are well-positioned for the fourth quarter, including innovative plans to drive traffic, especially in our U.S. stores.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV