RBC offers the following tips and secure payment options for holiday spending to help ensure that you stick to your holiday budget while enjoying the spirit of the season:
- Take control by preparing a budget - A budget will help you live within your means, during the holidays and throughout the rest of the year, and avoid unnecessary debt. A Financial Planner can help you put a plan with a budget in place or online budgeting and savings resources available on websites such as www.rbc.com/savingsspot can be of great assistance to help keep holiday spending plans under control. myFinanceTracker is another online customizable financial management tool that will help keep tabs on your monthly spending so you know exactly where your money is going and how to budget properly.
- Use cash and credit wisely - If you plan on using savings for your holiday costs, make your credit card work for you by using it for purchases and then immediately pay off the balance. Many rely on their credit cards for larger purchases but may not use it for everyday shopping instead of using cash. Holiday spending on groceries, gas, restaurants and clothing can add up quickly, but using your card can help you keep track of your expenses and also earn rewards more quickly while taking advantage of a temporary interest-free loan on purchases.
- Shop online with confidence - E-commerce sites are a great way to avoid crowds at the mall. Use the RBC Virtual Visa Debit for shopping online with funds coming directly from your bank account. This is a simple and secure way to make purchases that will be processed over Visa's network, providing the protection of Visa's multiple layers of security including: Visa's Zero Liability Policy, Verified by Visa, E-Promise, AVS (Address Verification Service) and CVV2 (the three-digit code).
- Have someone that's "hard to buy for"? - More secure than cash, RBC Visa Gift Cards can be used anywhere around the world where Visa cards are accepted, including online, giving friends and family more options than traditional store gift cards. RBC Visa Gift Cards are available at all RBC branches.
- Get peace of mind with purchase protection and extended warranty - Take advantage of these insurance features on gifts (e.g. electronics) that RBC credit cards offer. Need help finding the right card? Visit the RBC Advice Centre.