“The stock market may have felt like a roller coaster for some, but over the long-term, it has been an engine of growth and this has certainly been true in the last four years as we’ve emerged from recession. There is a paradigm shift where you no longer just switch to fixed income ten years before retirement. With increased longevity, there is more time to build assets in a well allocated portfolio and then turn that into retirement income,” added Wimbish.
‘Working until 80’ - A Reality for Those with Less Than $250,000 in Assets
Working in retirement due to financial necessity will be a reality for a third (34%) of Americans with less than $250,000 in assets, compared to only 9% of the affluent. More broadly, four-in-ten (42%) affluent Americans expect to work because they want to and not out of any financial need, compared to a third (32%) of those with less than $250,000 in assets. Interestingly, about half of affluent men (49%) say they will work in retirement because they want to versus 31% of affluent women. While half (48%) of affluent Americans plan to fully retire and not work, only one third (32%) of those with less than $250,000 in assets believe they will not work during retirement.
One quarter (25%) of Americans with less than $250,000 in assets agree they will need to work until they are “at least 80” in order to afford retirement despite the fact that only one-third (36%) think they will be mentally and physically capable of being a productive employee in their 80’s. Conversely, while only 6% of affluent Americans agree they will need to work until they are “at least 80” in order to afford retirement, close to half (43%) expect they will be physically and mentally capable of being a productive employee into their 80’s.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV