Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the availability of the AWS Direct Connect service to the Equinix SY3 International Business Exchange ( IBX ®) data center in Sydney. With AWS Direct Connect, customers across Australia can connect their customer-owned and managed infrastructure directly to Amazon Web Services (AWS), establishing a private network connection that can reduce network costs, increase throughput, and deliver more consistent network performance than Internet-based connections.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Until now, Australian companies looking to connect to AWS from Australia had to do so through the public Internet, which can have unpredictable connectivity and varying performance. By leveraging AWS Direct Connect via Equinix’s SY3 data center, customers can have a dedicated network connection to the cloud for more consistent network performance.
- Cloud adoption in Australia is rapidly accelerating. According to Forrester, 36 percent of Australian organizations are currently using cloud-based services—a notable increase from 22 percent in 2010 and 14 percent in 2009. With the successful rollout of the National Broadband Network (NBN), cloud demand is expected to rise even more. By 2020, the public cloud market in Australia is projected to be worth $3.2 billion.
- AWS Direct Connect is available in nine locations worldwide, including a total of three Asia-Pacific markets: Tokyo, Singapore and Sydney. New and existing Equinix customers in these regions will be able to lower network costs into and out of AWS by reducing bandwidth commitments to ISPs and taking advantage of reduced AWS Direct Connect data transfer rates.
- In August 2011, AWS established one of its first AWS Direct Connect locations in an Equinix IBX data center, and since then, Equinix facilities in the greater metropolitan areas of Washington DC/Northern Virginia and Silicon Valley now offer AWS Direct Connect.
- Tony Simonsen, managing director, Equinix Australia: “At Equinix, we realize that each customer’s cloud journey is different. We’ve expanded our service with AWS Direct Connect for Australia to give our customers a more consistent network experience, all conveniently housed under one roof.”
- Eric Hui, director of Cloud, IT, Content and Digital Media, Equinix APAC: “Having access to multiple networks within the data center is a critical component of a successful cloud strategy; it helps enhance application performance and ensure redundancy. By providing our customers access to carrier-neutral data center facilities, we hope to allow them to fully tap into the value of AWS via the AWS Direct Connect service.”
- Ian Gardiner, CEO, Viocorp : “By utilizing the AWS Direct Connect service via Equinix Singapore to connect to the AWS Cloud, we have been able to secure the cost benefits of cloud computing with the performance and scalability in a hybrid environment. This has a direct benefit to our customers with increased quality and reduced time to transcode large multimedia files of 200 gig to formats suitable for delivery over the web to many different devices. We are planning to replicate the Singapore setup in Sydney, now that the service is available.”
About EquinixEquinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 30 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com. Forward Looking Statements This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release. Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV