- More than 75% of respondents said they had at one time or another purchased a gift card to give as a holiday present.
- Satisfaction with receiving gift cards as a holiday gift increased by 4% with a little over 84% of respondents saying they were "Satisfied" or "Very Satisfied" with receiving gift cards as a holiday present, up from 80% last year.
- The most popular occasion for giving a gift card is as a birthday gift, but over 70% of those surveyed thought gift cards are well-suited as gifts for the holidays.
- Although department store and restaurant gift cards are chosen as the most popular type of gift card to give and receive, grocery stores and gas station gift cards are also popular, due in part to the ongoing difficult economic climate.
- Gift cards with a value of $25 were the most popular denomination.
- Kids are the most common recipients of the over $30 billion in holiday gift card purchases.
- The most common reasons respondents said they buy gift cards as holiday gifts are to allow recipients to choose their own gift and make holiday shopping easier.
MyPoints Announces 2012 Holiday Gift Card Survey Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.