Establish a solid urban presence in affluent markets. Compare LULU's store location list to Teavana's.
LULU is in all of the big cities -- in the urban core. Manhattan. San Francisco. Seattle. Portland. Vancouver. The company saturates tony neighborhoods in these types of places with a unique atmosphere and relatively high-end, premium products. That should have been TEA's strategy from day one.
But they did the exact opposite.
Starbucks is already everywhere Teavana is. In malls and such, Starbucks locations might be able to drive additional traffic to the nearby Teavana store via cross promotion, but I can't see that approach making a major impact.If Starbucks just makes changes to Teavana in the places where it presently situates itself, I am not on board. Starbucks needs to make an urban push with Teavana. Bring it to the people like Lululemon does. Starbucks only paid $620 million for Teavana. It could put a lot more money into shutting down the lowest-performing stores and replacing them with urban locations. Just my initial thoughts. I am an unabashed SBUX bull. If anybody can make magic out of Teavana -- as it stands or as some new iteration -- Starbucks can. Howard Schultz and his team have earned the benefit of the doubt. Either way, this is empire expansion at its finest. Nitpicking aside, it hardly changes my long-term opinion of the stock.
UpdateDuring an afternoon conference call Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz told analysts that Starbucks "will do for tea what it did for coffee" around the world. He also noted that he has no plans to slowdown expansion of Starbucks stores. Instead, it's all about growth. He said, Starbucks will add tea bars to Teavana locations, while expanding to urban neighborhoods. Follow @rocco_thestreet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV