KBR (NYSE: KBR) announced today that KBR Building Group has been awarded a contract by American Honda Motor Co. to construct a new Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul facility located adjacent to Honda Aircraft Company’s world headquarters at the Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, N.C. KBR Building Group will provide general contracting services for the 90,000-square-foot facility being constructed to support HondaJet — the company’s advanced light business jet aircraft. KBR Building Group is teamed with minority-owned general contractor firm The Daniele Company of Durham, N.C.
“We are excited to be a part of another milestone project for Honda Aircraft at the company’s Greensboro site,” said Philip Southerland, President, KBR Building Group. “Our proven reputation for delivering cutting-edge, award-winning aviation industry projects on time and within budget has made KBR Building Group the preferred contractor for these types of projects in the Southeast and beyond.”
Site work has begun with occupancy slated for the second half of 2013, prior to HondaJet’s entry into service.
KBR is a global engineering, construction and services company supporting the energy, hydrocarbon, government services, minerals, civil infrastructure, power, industrial, and commercial markets. For more information, visit www.kbr.com.Editor notes:
- KBR Building Group, headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., is a diversified construction services company serving industrial, commercial, healthcare and institutional clients in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southwest regions of the United States. Known for its outstanding safety record, KBR Building Group is the exclusive commercial construction arm of parent company KBR.
- KBR Building Group has solid experience in building aviation/aerospace facilities nationally.
- Regionally, the company has been recognized as Southeast Contractor of the Year by Engineering News-Record (ENR). In the Southeast, KBR Building Group ranks No. 1 among Top Contractors and Construction Managers, and is among the Top 5 Green Builders, according to the latest annual survey published by Engineering News-Record (ENR). Nationally, KBR consistently ranks high among U.S.-based construction firms, appearing on ENR’s lists of Top 100 Construction Management Firms and Top 100 Design Builders.
- According to Honda Aircraft Company, the teams of KBR Building Group and The Daniele Company team were selected to construct the new MRO based on their aviation construction experience, strong diversity plan and objectives, diverse and experienced project team, the competitiveness of the bid, and other internal criteria.
- “We are extremely proud to have The Daniele Company as our collaborative partner on the Honda MRO Project,” said Garland Burton, KBR Building Group’s Director / Community Affairs and Diversity. “Our vision, team chemistry, and goals are very similar. As an emerging construction management firm in North Carolina (and one of the few owned by a woman or minority), Gloria Shealey realized early on that building a staff experienced in a wide variety of project types was critical to her firm’s sustainability and growth. Likewise, KBR Building Group has long recognized the value of collaboration as a mechanism by which smaller local firms gain access to larger, more complex project assignments.” Burton went on to say, “Through new experiential opportunities made available on increasingly complex projects, KBR seeks to expand the capabilities and foster the long-term viability of small, local, and minority businesses. This, in turn, fosters job creation, creates future service providers in the local market, and expands contributors to regional and U.S. GDP.”
- In 2011, KBR Building Group completed construction of the award-winning, state-of-the-art production facility for Honda Aircraft Company, located at the same site as the MRO currently under construction, in Greensboro, North Carolina. The 260,000-square-foot HondaJet facility was a finalist for 2011 Project of the Year in the prestigious awards program sponsored by the Associated Builders and Contractors of the Carolinas.
- More about the MRO — The MRO will include a 24/7 support center to facilitate maintenance for up to 12 aircraft simultaneously. There will be back shops for composite and sheet metal structures, avionics and interiors, and a customer area with a large pilot’s lounge, individual work rooms with conference space, and a flight planning room conveniently situated near the aircraft ramp side entrance. The MRO will house the Product Support Group whose role is to support the customer and aircraft after delivery, and administer HondaJet Warranty and Service Plans. The MRO will have a 4,000-square-foot environmentally controlled spare parts warehouse.
- The architect of record for the MRO is Barge Waggoner Sumner & Cannon, Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV